Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Apologies

Apologies for the lack of recent updates.
Unfortunately, not a great deal has happened lately.
Damn "real life" keeps getting in the way.
So, what HAVE I managed to do...

Well, I have a MSSQL Server compatible database script.
I am working on a bug in the Software audit processing routine.

For an Alpha, I'd like to get basic functionality complete. By basic functionality I mean:
* - Audit script runs on PCs and submits to database.
* - Users can be created and assigned rights to groups
* - Groups can be created/edited/deleted
* - Devices can be viewed with all submitted audit details
* - Devices can have their "manual" fields edited
* - "List" type pages (based on groups) complete
Most of these items are nearly complete (as in 90%). It is more a matter of "finishing them off".
Realistically, I think it would be (maybe) 30 hours work. Not sure there. Might be way off.

My main problem is having a "real" job and a young family (and a slight World of Warcraft addiction, forgive me).

I also have to go back through the models (in CodeIgniter) and check the functions work with MSSQL. I've had a few enquiries about MSSQL compatibility lately, and want to make sure it's all OK. I've also had people say they (think Govt Dept Managers), don't want to use OpenSource. Not PHP, Linux, Apache or MySQL. They would like it rewritten in DotNet and MSSQL. It's frustrating that people STILL have this attitude. I don't mind catering to database abstraction, but the actual code ??? Sure, I'll just re-write the complete application, because you have a completely misguided notion of what "secure" means... sigh. Apologies for the slight rant.

Anyway - what you all want to know (well, the two people who bother to read this) is "WHEN CAN WE HAVE THE CODE ?". All I can say is that's there's not that much left to do for an Alpha and I want it done as much as you do.

6 comments:

  1. WoW, nasty game that, can be very addictive. After 3 weeks of no sleep when it was released (on a hacked private server) I decided to volantarily skip that game! Happy to hear some news and look forward to an Alpha! Plenty of proprietary programs out there that do this sort of thing(and IMHO nowhere near as flexible as OA), if that's want some people want, then they can certainly go pay for it, choice is a wonderful thing and it's one of the main strengths of F/OSS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worry not. The proof is in the pudding, as any hacker knows. ;-) and you probably don't really want customers of that intellectual calibre anyway. I know I sure don't!

    I too would like to see an alpha. Have you designed in any DB abstraction? We're an Oracle/DB2 shop. I may be able to help you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Problem is that some of these clients are for BIG Org's... How does one rise to that level, and (still) have NFI ?!?!?

    I am using CodeIgniter PHP framework and it's in-built DB abstraction. I have access to MySQL, PostgreSQL and MSSQL. When OAv2 is released, testing on other DB's would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they should pay you big $$ for a complete re-write of the code just to make ignorant paper pushers feel better. Thank you for providing OA OpenSource I look forward to the OAv2 alpha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, I don't know what we would do without OA any news on when a version of OAv2 will be released? I have access to a MSSQL server farm to test with if you need,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently found this blog, very good information on here, thank you for sharing this with us. Thank you for the time and effort you have put into Open Audit.
    I use Open Audit in an environment with 2,300 Windows Machines all spread accross the US and even some in Europe we recently started to expand into the EU, we have locations in Milan(Italy) and in London. We are a big retailer with 500 store locations, we sell clothes and accessories. Anyhow I just wanted to share this with you as I thought you might appreciate to hear some of the places in which your time and effort have reached.
    Unfortunately we have very "NFI" management that really doesn't care about the clients we support unless they personally call in to complain and since they don't care about where the money is coming from as long as they get paid at the end of the week...innovation isn't really part of their mentality. So I have managed to implement this accross our entire network providing AWESOME visibility but I am the only person looking at it.

    ReplyDelete